Sunday, July 22, 2012

Thoughts on the Colorado shooting

Man. My heart has been heavy. So sad. So many reasons. Death has been on my thoughts so much this week. I recently read another blog about a girl that was killed on her lunch break in the middle of the day about a year ago. So much fear has filled my heart.

As our pastor read a blogpost from a woman who was in the Colorado shooting, survived, and believed in Jesus, I finally broke. I wept.

I wept because, quite often I get sad that this is the world my baby girl has been born into. I wept because life is only the present, and because it was a horrible crime.

I also wept because I can't imagine life without hope in Christ.

I wept because for me, it was God's sweet grace to get to read a Christ followers hope after surviving such a horrific thing.

I wept praying that I would feel closest to God in the midst of fear like that and I wept because I often think about these situations.

I am married to an officer. This you know.

What does this mean?

1. We go over any and all situations like this. So I have though scary scenarios before.
2. Officer has high protective instincts. He would make a really good secret service agent. We have always discussed this.
3. Officer is the hero type. Not in an obnoxious way. In an amazing selfless way. He would always try to help people who can't help themselves.

So I often think about these things, these scenarios. It may seem super morbid, but if you have an officer you know, its wise.

I know that if this ever happened to us, Officer would make sure I am as safe as I could be and then go after the bad guy and helping other people. I know it. No doubt. It is a responsibility he takes very serious from the day he became an Officer.


I am comforted as I read through Psalm 23 this morning. Because the Lord is my shepherd through this scary, broken world.

I hope you too find comfort in this...

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.