Saturday, June 23, 2012

Whole30 and some updates

Hi friends,

An update has been near the top of my list for a while...but somehow its June 23rd and I CANNOT remember how we got here. Officer and I are experiencing our only free Saturday in 2 months and last free Saturday until my sister's wedding in August. We enjoyed this. Let me tell you.

But anyway, Officer and I have been doing crossfit for almost 3 months now and our gym launched a Whole30 challenge for both June and July. Officer and I adopted paleo eating at the beginning of April with a cheat day every Saturday so we thought this would be easy. We. Were. WRONG.

Whole30 details and rules can be found here. All our best recipes were found here. And motivation found here. 

Crossfit has transformed life for Officer and I. We love it. We cant get enough of the self competition and the results. It has been difficult, however doing Whole30 has been one of the hardest things I have ever done mentally.

First week: I was a wreck. Did a little traveling and couldn't eat anything. Anywhere. Diet coke has been my biggest withdraw. I mean it has hardly gotten easier for me. I miss it every day. It has taught me SO much though about how we get addicted to things and how AWFUL I ate before.

I have learned how to cook so many wonderful things. I crave eating at home more than I do out now. I never EVER thought I would say that either! I have learned healthy substitutes that taste wonderful to me. And life without dairy has made me feel so much better all the way around. Life without dairy has launched Officer to almost 20 pounds of weight loss...hello results.

Here are some of our favorites:

Favorite mains:
Pulled pork
Cowboy breakfast skillet

Favorite breakfast:
Breakfast fritata (we make this at the beginning of each week and then cook throughout the week)
      -12 whisked eggs
      -browned turkey sausage
      -broccoli
      -spinach
cook for 15 min on 375...done. Too easy.


Favorite sweets:
Banana Icecream
Raw brownies (I make these weekly and use raw almonds instead of walnuts)
Banana muffins

We are entering our 4th week of Whole30! I took a break last week to try out my first ever cleanse with Isagenix. Here is were you can read more and I will be doing a whole post about the cleanse. I recommend a yearly cleanse to everyone and I think this will be the one I do every year. Isagenix is the protein I now use and I love it. It is perfect for paleo life style because the sugar content in Isalean is low enough that it doesn't taste too sweet as many proteins now do.

Updates coming this week!