Monday, February 20, 2012

two cents on a tuesday.

So lately...I have started many posts lately, but finishing them has been a problem. We have been in a pretty crazy season as I have started working again. My best friend is getting married at the end of this month and my sister is getting married at the end of the summer. Also, the officer has been home a lot ( Which I am so thankful for). I feel like a newly wed in a lot of ways, because I am learning so much about him for the first time. I can't even believe how great he completes me. I know that is super cheesy to say, but we have such complementary strengths that we never knew because we never got to experience them together. Man, that fact is hard.

Being a police wife is so hard for the things you miss. No way around it. Some girls handle it way better than others and that doesn't make them better or worse. It all has to do with your own strengths and personality. I would say I fall somewhere in the middle. My love language is gifts and acts of service. Not quality time. I do feel for those girls because it has to be harder. (But I digress....)

I wanted to share something that has helped me personally understand myself in a way that has also helped my husband understand me. Have you ever taken strengths finder?

O.M.G. I totally recommend it. I must say. I love personality tests and putting people in boxes, so I eat stuff like this up with a spoon, but its still great information to find out even if personality tests are not your thing (I am such a nerd, I know).

It takes about 30 minutes, depending on how much you agonize over the questions. At the end, it will produce your top 5 strengths. It will be your strengths that you currently have or your potential strengths you could develop in the future. Its so interesting.

Without further adieu, I give you my top five strengths: Belief, Achiever, Individualizer, Discipline, and Communication

You get this huge report and a TON of resources on the website for life after you have taken the exam. TOTALLY worth the $15. For a relationship, marriage, work team, or job search this is an awesome tool.

For example, because belief is my number one strength, everything I do is 100%. If I commit to anything, I am usually ALL in. When the officer shares a goal or a dream with me in his career, it consumes me. I think about it, imagine it, dream it and then pray about it to wrap my mind around it. When I have concluded this process I often come to him with a big game plan and he may not even know what I am talking about. He is a dreamer and idealizer. These are the two most opposite strengths so knowing this about each other helps tremendously. I have to remember he might just be processing out loud and he has to remember if he is going to say it I am going to run with it.

~an officer and a mrs.