Monday, February 6, 2012

The Mrs. Must haves...

To all you Mrs. out there who love an Officer, like me, I am sure you get me when I say you are now an expert on all things protection. Whether its getting a concealed hand gun license, understanding why your friend got a ticket, helping them know the next steps after their identity is stolen, or the classic, "can you get me out of a speeding ticket." (I love that one.)

While it is true, I do know more about the law than I ever would have before. I see the need to protect yourself in a whole new light and I notice sketchy activity while on a leisure Sunday run I wish I never cared to notice. However, this is the life of a Mrs. to my officer.

With that being said, I have acquired a few items and developed a few opinions over the years that I think are important for the amount of time you as a Mrs. most likely spend alone compared to the average Jane. I actually think all Jane's should do these things because then the occasional time by themselves wouldn't be as nerve racking. 

1. Here is what you need to have in your head, "what would you do if..." It used to drive me crazy when the officer would go through all these scenarios with me at night (he is totally an over thinker...aren't they all). It drove me nuts until I realized it made the possibility less scary in the silence of our apartment, the unexpected suspicious noise, or the multiple times the electricity has gone out in our building for more than a few hours while I was by myself

2. Don't move to the next step of life until you are ready. What do I mean by that? Live where you are most comfortable. We still live in an apartment. As much as I like the idea of living in a house, for the amount of time I have always spent by myself, or now with my daughter, I like the idea of walls that back up to other people. I haven't been quite ready for a house so here we stay. For many other reasons too, but my comfort has always been huge. We also never live somewhere were I don't feel 100% safe. 

3. Pepper spray- a good quality can ( and a can-spray attitude to match). It will ease your mind to have some kind of weapon in your hand and usually this will do. Especially if you are not comfortable carrying a taser or a handgun. 

4. Faith- that God has given you everything you need. Until marrying the officer I would have considered myself a total scaredy cat. I could NEVER be alone and never wanted to be alone. I didn't watch scary movies (still don't like them) and if I did I would have to have someone go to the bathroom with me. Marrying my officer has stretched me more than any other area of my life. I did not want to change, but I am SO glad that I am. God has made me so strong, so even if its hard, have faith that he can give you enough strength to do it!

5. Partnership with your officer. You gotta have a man who is in it with you and you have to be in it with him for the long hall. Commitment is everything, no matter what job your spouse takes. Marriage is never easy but being committed simplifies it. When you know you are not departing from your partner it makes decisions easier.

~an officer and a Mrs.