Tuesday, March 27, 2012

An Officer and a Mrs. do Paleo

As I mentioned on our Fav Friday post, we are trying Paleo with a few exceptions. I know, I know...you may think to yourself,  "doesn't that defeat the purpose of a diet"?

My answer would be, maybe.

But the Officer and I are going for life change, and sometimes you have to ease your way into it.

Why paleo

1. I am married to a carnivore. He is all guy, therefore loves a good hardy meal. We could not pick something where he lost that because he would never stick to it.

2. We are Cross Fit groupies. If you do cross fit and we know about it, we think you are pretty amazing and kind of treat you like a celebrity. Officer and I have been wanting to do it for awhile and it hasn't been affordable for us. Now that it is, we are jumping on and paleo is their recommended way of life.

What are the exceptions we decided on?

All of these exceptions, we will give up as we get more used to the diet but since this was such a drastic change for our life style we decided on a few exceptions.

1. Officer still drinks milk. He would pick milk over ANY other drink. This would be his desert island drink. He loves it. When we go on vacation, its the first thing we have to find so he can have his usual every night glass of milk. I am serious about this.

2. I still have the occasional slice of bread. When I saw no grains, my heart stopped- literally. I wasn't ready to go cold turkey with that. I would definitely have the shakes...but I will say, a week in, I could give it up now, so I am phasing it out this week.

3. We have eggs in the morning. We are not great cooks, still learning recipes so we have allowed eggs.

4. We have a cheat day every Saturday. We don't go crazy but we allow ourselves a few splurges.

We have to lead by example.

We decided we wanted our little Fox to eat healthy, and stay as far away from processed as possible. How could we expect this of our child if she saw her parents doing something totally different? We had to change. Also, right now Fox is allergic to oat, so if she doesn't grow out of this, we needed to learn to cook and live in a way where she could eat with us.


Officer has already gone down a size and I have gone down a half size. 1.5 weeks people. Now what this really shows, is how our diet had to change. It had to. We were making terrible choices, and for those who know me, you know I almost always, 100% of the time had candy with me, loud and proud. I am now seeing this had a much greater effect on me than I ever wanted to admit.

We are officially in cross fit and can't wait to see results here.

It's ah-mazing how good this diet makes us feel. So far the amount of meat intake has been good for me, which I never thought it would. Different diets do different things for different people. It is A LOT of cooking and planning so each Sunday we plan out the whole week, breakfast - dinner. We are committed to change and will keep updates as we continue to eliminate those exceptions.

This is so fun to do together. I think life change has to happen as a team, because you are so encouraged and excited as you see the other feel better and look better.

If you are thinking about making the switch here is my fav book and blog I have found so far.



~an Officer and a Mrs.