Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Who are you?

Who are you? - I have said this phrase to Roxie about 15 times since Monday. She rolls over and back like a maniac which means when I turn around to grab her a toy she goes from being on her play mat to this:

Girlfriend is out of control with her movement and this is BRAND new as of Monday.
This is me and her watching a baby Einstein movie. She loved all the colors and this was so fun to see.

Her 5 month post is coming up which blows my mind and I want to save more of this for that post since I do those specifically for her to have to look at one day. It blows my mind how quickly babies can change and be doing something so well one day that they were not even close to doing yesterday.

This week has been a busy week for Officer. He started his new position. He refused letting me take the classic "first day" outfit but he looked so great in his suit let me just say. This has been transition week for both of us which means we are literally tired all the time. Its also been one of those weeks that everyone has to have about once every few months where it feels like the world is against you and nothing relationally is going right? Does anyone else have those? 

Lessons with my Officer:

One thing I've learned being married to the Officer is that we get our energy in different ways. Here is what I mean:

Officer rarely chooses to have a lazy Saturday or Sunday to just be home- doing chores, watching movies, making lunch...unless GOOD football is on. He likes spending hours in Barnes and Noble, game stop, going to sit in the massage chairs at Brookstone or just "being out" as he says. Nothing to crazy. I on the other hand like staying in comfortable clothes for most of the day, make coffee, watch whatever repeat movie that is on USA (Sweet Home Alabama, Two Weeks Notice, Pretty Woman...those kinds) and just be home. This is a weekend difference.

During the week: I am a social queen bee. I love filling Roxie and my calendar with lunch, coffee, walking dates, etc when I am not working. I would make a date with a friend any chance I can. The Lord has wired me to be a huge girlfriend girl. But Officer could stay in every second he can on a week night. The only thing he likes to do outside of work and home is his classes and Merge. Which is the pre-married ministry at our church we serve in. Oh.My. do we love serving with Merge. That is however another post sometime.

Its been good for me to serve him with looooonnnnggg Barnes and Noble visits, standing in game stop "playing" the sample games and letting him get out on his own to meet a friend or to be by himself. He blesses me quite often with watching the Fox while I go run with a friend, or as I work most recently since I just got back to weddings. This blesses me huge too. I love working in this capacity.

Bottom line- Officer and I recharge differently. We both are extroverts who love being the life of the party but we get that energy in different ways. It has blessed our relationship in more ways than I can count as we both have learned how to love each other in their specific way more often.

Don't get me wrong. We are not marriage experts as we have been married only 3 years. We just had a harder first 2 than some people probably do, mostly due to the fact that I was still learning how to be married to an officer and not a Mr. So I share these things if a) any other officer's wives need encouragement or maybe you are about to be one and b) because sometimes I find a lot of help in places I didn't expect it. Hoping God uses it in one of those ways. I mean how insane is the blogging world and though it can over take our time, what a blessing to be able to learn from people the way it allows us too.

hmm.

~an officer and a Mrs.