Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Marrying an Officer

SO I thought I would give a little bit of our story, our officer and Mrs. story.

This was the last thing I expected you see. I was in my last semester of my junior year of college, engaged to my handsome, God-loving, public relations majoring, senior fiance when it happened...

I'll never forget, we were passing the English building on campus when he said to me, "I think I want to be a police officer....." the rest is history.

The months that followed, or really two years that followed were full of bliss and pain. This wasn't the life I was thinking I would lead. I grew up in a house where kitchen knives were the scariest weapons, and my parents worked a business together....needless to explain more I had very different expectations for marriage. But don't we all think marriage is something that it's not, thanks to TV, media, Hollywood and bad examples....?

Anyway we got married while officer was a cadet in the academy. We got married and he had to return to class the next day. Poor guy. I spend the day at the spa...I know so rough.

But from there...It was a hard first year. He worked some days but mostly nights in that first year and I was too afraid to shower at night in our apartment by myself, slept with an ax by my bed, put a dresser in front of the bedroom door, and cried often. I laugh thinking about those days because by God's sweet grace, I am come along way.

Why did I start going this direction on the blog? I read lots of bad advice and was in search of something good, and quite honestly found nothing...here is why:

Stats of police couples:

According to police chief.com while the national average is 48% of marriages end in divorce, law enforcement is closer to 75%...yikes and this is the part I hate...the dumb dumb excuses why:

Law enforcement officers and other first responders face extraordinary challenges in marriage and family relationships due to factors such as chronic job stress and irregular work schedules. Studies have shown that law enforcement officers who experience ongoing stress are more likely to display anger, distance themselves from their family members, and have unsatisfactory marriage and family relationships. In addition, domestic stress and crises often affect the job performance of first responders. Some of the unique stressors experienced by law enforcement officers include carrying a gun, working hours that are unusual or interfere with holidays or family events, and being on call for emergencies. These individuals, whose service is vital to their communities and their country, are at high risk for divorce.


Here it goes...I am going to say it, only because I have lived it...those are just excuses like anything else, but that is the majority and reality of our world and believe me it has and still continues to be challenging.


But this is our story about how we make it work and enjoy life along the way...


~an officer and a mrs.